Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 19:48:31 -0500
Very true. I have mostly worked QRP over the years, and while it can be frustrating at times, getting a new one with 5 to 10 watts is quite a thrill. The last sunspot peak, I was writing my doctoral dissertation, and kept the 6 meter rig running most of the time. I managed to work all continents with an Argonaut II, and a 1208 transverter barefoot into a 4 element Hy-Gain beam at 50 feet. I have been in this hobby since 1963, and doing this was the most fun I ever had.

I admit that it is easier to check in to the Ten Tec net with the Corsair II, but I still managed it a number of times with the Argonaut VI.

At my current QTH, I am limited to my ground mounted trap vertical. Once I move to my place in Wisconsin, I will have room for about any antenna I would like to put up, and look forward to trying the Argo VI with a really long wire antenna fed with open line.

Steve WA9JML