Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 14:19:42 -0400

On 8/3/2013 6:01 PM, John wrote:
I hope this does not add to the confusion too much. However...

  Radials really only apply to quarter-wave verticals.

        Well... er... um... not really.  You want a nice
        set of radials under an inverted-L antenna... and
        other designs, also.

        Bill Orr W6SAI (sk) says the folded unipole
        requires a radial system, as does the Folded
        Marconi antenna, and Extended Marconi, and
        his book, and the ARRL Antenna Compendiums
        have examples of various sloper antennas that
        employ ground radials.

        See Radio Amateur Antenna Handbook by Orr and
        Cowan, Radio Publications, Inc.

        A quick romp through HF Antennas for Everyone
        by Read, G1MFG, published by RSGB, shows many
        antenna designs that employ ground radials,
        including some dipole designs, for example
        the one depicted on p.43 that uses ground radials
        on a dipole with window line vertical segment.

        Just a few examples to illustrate ground radials
        are used on many designs other than 1/4 wave
        ground plane antennas.

A half-wave vertical only requires a ground.

        Er... Um... there is serious disagreement on this
        one, and many operators suggest a half wave
        vertical can realize substantial benefit from
        ground radials or a "counterpoise" - you can read
        one cogent argument for this here:

http://www.w8ji.com/end-fed_1_2_wave_matching_system_end%20feed.htm

        I think the gist of the argument is that it does
        need some sort of counterpoise, or else the
        choke balun must absorb all the return energy
        or else your feed line becomes the return path
        and acts as part of the antenna system.  But
        don't take my summary for it, W8JI does it way
        better without my help !  ;-)

Although I have not
seem this, it would seem to me that for multi-band verticals, there
should be some isolation of the radials in order to maintain the desired
pattern for the upper bands.

        Interesting... what do you mean by Isolation?
        I am not being critical or funny here, but
        don't the radials still need to be connected?
        Not sure of the meaning of "isolated" in this
        context.

These points illustrate why I am fascinated by ham radio- there are so many facets, angles, and competing designs, ideas, etc., and so many apparently contradictory elements, it seems impossible to run out of things to research and learn about. I don't intend to be contrary, but merely point out the complexity of it all, just using the above example of the use of radials on many designs beyond the ground plane. There is no end to any of this! ;-)