[TenTec] ORION 565 still using V1.73b5, next to 566 using V3

To: Toby Pennington <w4cakk@centurylink.net>
Subject: [TenTec] ORION 565 still using V1.73b5, next to 566 using V3
From: "M. WIJK" <pa5mw@home.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:06:30 +0200
Hello Tony,

There's a few reasons for that. Most of them are within personal taste; both
the 565 and 566 vs V.17x and V3x software are great and deliver you great RX
performance.

First of all you will notice that I have not updated any of both ORION's to the
latest sw currently. I surely will investigate the latest V3 version for my OII
this fall.

- I strongly believe that if something works OK, sounds well to your liking
etc.. there's little reason to change/upgrade (unless you can make more QSO's)
- The 1.73b5 has a much softer control of RF Gain setting; I like varying it
between 55-85 matching band condx
- I never use a spectrum scope on a rig. A Perseus SDR is lightyears ahead of
any rig(inc TS990) in that respect.
- AM BCB/SWL reception is preferred on 1.73b5 based on tuning the station and
BW control
- Tried the V3sw upgrade on the ORION and it turned into a whole different rig
(not worse, just different)
- V3 sw deflects the S-meter already from RF Gain setting 93 and down,
(too)quickly killing the RF input
- Like the optional slope setting in the menu of V3
- Already own a (2nd hand) ORION II (ex-HB9CVQ), making the most of V3 sw using
its faster internal cpu.
- I operate 160m for 90% of time.

I have listened extensively on 160m to the ORION from 2004 onwards and like
this rig soo much.
There's some minor differences on the audio output between V1.73b5 vs V3 sw as
well; look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/29333935@N07
The OII curves on Flickr actually present V3 sw. The ORION shows V1.73b5
performance, but when upgraded to V3, does show almost exact similar graphs
like the OII
Look for the minor differences.
BTW; I believe the secret why the TT ORION rigs receive soo well is due to the
"analog round shaped" filter curves. The only current rig, although I have only
measured/listened to few of them, is the TS590, which in turn also has a more
"round shaped" DSP filtercurve. I believe brickwall filtering s**k bigtime. But
manufacturers hardly seem to listen and only measure steady carriers on their
bench. Things change BIGTIME at nearly zero s/n as soon as you start modulating
your testsignal, even more when there's live bandnoise available. I have been
looking for the "holy grail", since both my analog K2 setups for VHF 2m and 6m
proved to be some 8dB better (as in s/n, hearing QSO vs zilt) in reception than
3 tested IC756PRoIII's.

See more explanation on that topic at:
http://pa5mw.blogspot.nl/2009/12/upgrade-current-vhf-station-iv-mds.html

After having tried V3 on the ORION for a few weeks I decided there's no need to
have *two similar* V3 rigs next to each other, and I kind of missed the old
1.73b5
I currently have the luxury to enjoy two generations ORION, one using 1.73b5
and the newer OII using V3.

Things would be different when I would only own an ORION. Proabably would use
the V3 sw as TENTEC has put some very valuable options in it. The 'APF'
function for instance, sometimes offers about 6dB enhancement on s/n and offers
a clear QSO vs gone in the bandnoise situation. But it would certainly take me
another few more weeks during winter time on 160m, trying to dig out the weak
ones, doing a contest etc.. before I would decide which version sw eventually
is more to my liking.

Which other brand offers you soo much versions sw to choose from?
I had to save money for two years and sell both my FT1000MP and MKV-Field to
buy my first ORION (august 2004).
Never ever have regret that !!!!

They do a fantastic job at TEC-TEC !!

73 Mark, PA5MW