Re: [TenTec] Requirements for a top tier DXing rig

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Requirements for a top tier DXing rig
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:10:22 -0700
On 10/18/2013 12:04 PM, Barry N1EU wrote:
The form factor of the K3 means a lot more space on the desk but a lot less
space on the display - no full time display of important parameters like
bandwidth, shift,

My ears tell me what I need to know about bandwidth and shift.

power,

The K3 remembers power by band and mode. How often do you need to change it? And why do you need to know? I set power output to whatever it takes to drive my power amp to full output, and to do that, I look at the power amp, not the rig.

mic gain/compression,

In TX mode, the display can be set to provide a readout of compression (in dB) and ALC, or power out and SWR. That compression in dB is what we need to know, not the mic gain and compression knob settings that it takes to get there. So you're asking for stuff that simply does not matter.

monitor level,

That's the loudness of your voice in your headphones. Again, my ears tell me this -- I don't care what the "dial" says.

etc etc.

etc. what?

You have to push a knob to see each value.

But I contend that a good operator simply does not need to know that these things that are not displayed except when first setting the rig up for an activity (like contesting or DXing). For example, when I'm preparing for a contest, I study the rules, decide which category I want to enter, run through all the bands setting power, bandwidth of the P3 display to fit that contest, verity that my computer playback and mic levels are right, and tweak them if necessary. By the time the contest starts, all the controls I need are the bandswitch (or N1MM), tuning knob (or N1MM), RIT, XIT, and IF bandwidth, AF and RF gain. Every one of those functions has a dedicated knob or button. On 30M and below, I may also switch in an RX antenna or put the rig in diversity mode. Again, there are front panel buttons for that. Yes, the front panel does not tell you whether you have a separate RX antenna on the sub-RX, but if your ears don't tell you that, you don't understand diversity. :)

And no parameters at all are visible about the subreceiver unless you switch
the display from main to sub.

I agree this is a shortcoming, but a few things about controlling the 2nd RX are the only things I think they missed out on. BUT -- two fast pushes of the "copy A to B" button copies ALL of the settings of the main RX to the second RX, which gets you 90% of the way to where you're likely to want to go. For example, if I'm using the 2nd RX to monitor my frequency in a pileup, I may want to listen wider than I'm listening to the DX. But even that's easy to do. Simply set the wider bandwidth before copying A to B, then set A narrower to hear the DX better.

There's plenty to like about the K3 and contesters have adopted it in
droves, but the form factor doesn't work for me.

You're right, that's a personal choice, but I've articulated the reasons for my choices.