Re: [TenTec] 160 meters, ten ted 238 tuner, part two

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 meters, ten ted 238 tuner, part two
From: Andy Flessner <k9arm1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:59:19 -0500
> 132 feet on each side fed with 180 ish feet of 600 ohm open line. That
goes to an external 1:1 balun feed with three feet of LMR400 to the coupler.

It might be interesting to put an analyzer on the coax after the 1:1 balun
and see what kind of impedances you are trying to match.

I had a 132 ft doublet with 100ft of 4" homebrew open wire line - abt 550
ohm line, calculated, on the apartment roof (until they made me take it
down) with a 4:1 current balun. It worked great on 80-10 with my 238 tuner,
but  could not match 160. I was able to match it when I used a Heathkit
2060, but I was losing at least 1/2 the power out. I assumed the doublet
was just too short for 160 and I never got to try a 1:1 balun, which might
have made it better because of the low impedance.

I thought about borrowing an analyzer, but didn't bother after reading some
of Maxwell's info, It sure worked well on 80-10 for a simple wire. Pretty
noisy above the apartments, though.

Andy K9ARM