Re: [TenTec] 160 M antenna

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 M antenna
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 11:47:36 +0100
Thanks Steve,

I will try to locate that article.

I did find a set of pictures on the topic but not much info.
Perhaps it's the same guy:
http://www.swdigital.org/fudmeister/main.php?g2_itemId=230

Though I like the concept, the mechanics of it scare me half to death.

Despite the fact that it may be a better solution, I will stick with
using-top hat wires (combined with top guys).
Especially if you can manage to fit 4 top-hat wires within your yard, it is
a darn good antenna, brings excellent results, and is what most of the guys
use on DX-peditions.

Here are some of the reasons I like them:
 <> Cheaper to implement (than the top-loaded tunable whip).
 <> Less complexity for Murphy to sink his teeth into.
 <> Much simpler to implement.  So simple that anyone who wants to, can.
 <> Works far better than a low horizontal dipole.
 <> Works far better than the commercial contraptions that "don't even need
radials" !!!

And the final two reasons:
 <> It's never going to be a perfect world unless I win the lottery
 <> I'm never going to win the lottery!  :(

I have a very lousy QTH when it comes to running ground radials and top-hat
wires.
As a result, I currently have only one top-hat wire (i.e., "Inv.-L) and one
single elevated radial.

Back in the days when I was trying to run contests with a low dipole on
160m, I would typically work 10 to 15 countries on that band during a CQWW,
and that was from a much better QTH than here.

Now, with this handicapped Inverted-L, I worked 47 countries in CQWW 160,
including many outside of Europe, and I run less power from this QTH than I
was running in the past.

Although claims of working DX don't tell us much about the performance of
the antenna, when you can call CQ on 160m and have multiple stations from
across the Atlantic answer you, you know your antenna is doing a pretty good
job.

73
Rick, DJ0IP