Re: [TenTec] MMRTTY+ Omni 6 question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] MMRTTY+ Omni 6 question
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:35:09 -0800
On 2/4/2014 10:04 AM, Carter wrote:
I realize that MMRTTY has a 'net' control but that it is only active if you are transmitting AFSK -- and I am not. I also pressed the "HAM" button in MMRTTY which sets the shift to 170 Hz and the mark to 2125 Hz, but this then makes the received signal go off freq a bit (that is, the "cross-pattern" tuning indicator is not giving a cross anymore, have to re-tune the receiver and then the copy (and cross) is OK again), but the MMRTTY window that formerly read '2125' does not; it reads around ~ 1800 -1870 Hz and I am no longer transmitting on the received station's frequency.

In FSK mode, the TX frequency does NOT track MMTTY's AFC. BUT -- there are many settings in MMTTY that we can change to suit our needs. For example, we can change the HAM defaults to whatever we want -- I set mine for low tones (915 Hz mark), which I find easier on the ears, and also easier to tune in by ear. I use MMTTY with AFSK and VOX, feeding the sound card to the line input of my radio (a K3). In AFSK mode, we can turn AFC and NET on and off independently.

Most serious RTTY operators who use AFSK turn AFC and RIT off when calling a station, and use RIT or AFC when calling CQ.

There's a pretty good help file, accessible by hitting the Help button on the MMTTY menu bar.

73, Jim K9YC