Re: [TenTec] OMNI V Frequency Changes

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI V Frequency Changes
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 20:03:24 -0600
Depending on if the model has the oven type crystal or the TXCO for the master oscillator. If one removes power the oven cools. When power is then applied the oven must come up to operating temperature. During this time interval, the radio will be up to 100 Hz in error with regard to frequency. The later radios with the TXCO does not have this issue. The solution for the oven issue is to leave DC power applied but turn the radio off. Of course the oven could be defective at which point one must just rely on the internal radio temperature to stabilize.

Second area is the BFO crystals are not oven controlled. If you are doing a lot of transmitting such as RTTY or PSK then the heat from the PA migrates into the radio and will cause these crystals to move a bit. A small fan mounted on the heat sink will usually eliminate this issue.

Crystals do age and thus will change frequency over time, somewhat accelerated by heating and cooling. A proper alignment will usually restore things to normal.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Shepard" <scottsheppard@videotron.ca>