Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:10:08 +0100
Hey, before the K3 arrived, most of the world contesting records were set
with middle-class radios, because nobody wanted to carry huge boxes with
them on trips.
The old IC-735 was probably the most popular travel rig for many years, but
also stuff like FT-747, etc.

The current all-time world records in CQWW SSB and CW were set using Kenwood
TS-850s.
Even with 400 Hz Inrad roofing filter, its BDR3 is just 77dB.

That's why I keep shouting "IT'S THE ANTENNA, STUPID!"   ;-)

But in all honesty, when you are as far away from the rest of the world as
the Christmas Island gang was, the signals are not all arriving at 30 over
9.  Thus the ultra high performance was not as important.  The guys on our
side of the pileup need the good receivers!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)