Re: [TenTec] Help needed with Paragon II alignment

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Help needed with Paragon II alignment
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 21:09:39 -0500
Sounds like a "done deal" to me.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Kenward" <k8vf_mark@centurytel.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:56 PM

Hi again, Bob. Yes I did my settings while at 14 mHz and that's where I had the rig from the start. Set it up just as you did, had it on an hour or more, and lid on, replaced after any adjustment. Well, I am within 30 hz on each end,(high at one end and low at the other) and closer in the middle so I will call it ok.

On the BFO's, as I said, if I did them in order, I couldn't get close on the cwT adjustments. (close to 1000Hz)Other than the FSK bfos being set off intentionally because I had to, all else was as you said. Ref oscillator was easy enough to get to, I slid the shield off to the side, pulled a couple Mass connectors to get at a test point, and cap is bottomed out, or topped out-rocking it back and forth to get it right on and that is it.

Thanks for all your advice and friendly assistance in the past.

Sounds like I can button it up.

Best regards,

Mark Kenward
K8VF

I've repaired and aligned several of the Paragon and Paragon II radios. This includes the ones I owned personally. I always strived to set the BFO oscillators to be "dead nuts on" with an accuracy of 1 Hz or better. There is some interaction between the adjustments and I've found that going over the alignment for these some 3 or 4 times was found to be necessary. Since these "rocks" are not highly temperature compensated some warm uptime is required and even then they willvary with temperature. Specially true if running a high demand mode such as RTTY that heats the inside of the case. My counter will capture the low and high values over a period of time. I usually allow the radio to warm up in receive with the cover on, make adjustments, lay the cover back on and then allow it to warm again. Frankly I'm not sure how prudent this method turns out to be. But I did spend several hours analyzing the drift of the oscillators over time and over a temperature range. The master osc is quite stable and is easy to adjust and it generally stays put. In general I felt that if I could get all bands to be less than +/- 50 Hz that I had a good alignment job. What you find is about typical of my notes. If you get it correct on 160M then it will be off by 2x that amount on 10M. If you get it correct on 10 MHz then the error will be about as you find, or about 30 Hz or less, depending on band. The further one gets away from the 10 MHz reference the worse it gets either up or down. The manual that I have states: "Frequency accuracy: +/- 50 Hz @ 25 degrees C." From this info looks like your results are quite good.