Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

To: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 12:10:10 -0400

On 4/7/2014 11:06 AM, Kimberly Elmore wrote:
that's what people use: a USB-to-RS232 adapter since no one puts RS232 ports on either desktop motherboards of laptops anymore.

NOT SO, DICK TRACY !   There IS a way.

I use a 4-port serial port PCIe I/O add-on card that gave my new computer 4 old fashioned serial ports. NO USB-SERIAL ADAPTERs in my shack. These look and act and feel just like regular built-in serial ports, so no finicky oddball drivers. No issue with potentially bogus bootleg Prolific brand chips.

Cost - $20

Problem solved. There is no reason to pay more for a USB-to-Serial adapter cable and suffer its little idiosyncrasies.