[TenTec] Software / Firmware Upgrades

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Software / Firmware Upgrades
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 13:57:21 -0700
On 4/10/2014 1:24 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
Bug fixes should be for free but additional feature/functionality should have a
reasonable fee. That gives the manufacturers an incentive to keep improving the
firmware of the older rigs.

Don't tell Elecraft that. They're still tweaking and adding features to their K3 (an SDR with knobs), and are committed to never charging for firmware updates. Not only that, their beta program is sufficiently robust that by the time an update hits the website it's solid.

Their motivation is pretty simple -- keep the customers satisfied! They DO charge for harware updates, but it's always pretty nominal. And they seem to be doing fine -- their serial numbers start at 1, and I recall seeing numbers in the high 8,000s several months ago. The KX3 I bought a month or two ago was s/n 58xx (I'm going from memory), not bad for a rig that's been out for only about a year, and they only started shipping the 100W amps a few months ago.

As I predicted when the KX3 was first announced, it's ending up on the main operating desk in lots of shacks, and at Visalia last week, they showed a working prototype for a spectrum display for it.

73, Jim K9YC