Re: [TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 18:51:10 +0200
STOP!
ISOTRON IS NOT A MAGNETIC LOOP.
It is an electrical antenna just like normal wire antennas.  It won't work
indoors. PERIOD

Perhaps I chose the wrong name for it, but it works off of the electrical
component, not the magnetic component of the signal.  It will have the same
trouble with house QRN as all of your present antennas.

I suggest you try it as a Receive-Only antenna first.
That way you don't have to worry about losses or anything like that.
It is very easy to build one yourself.

Which band or bands are you interested in?

I had an uncle (now SK) who had to go into assisted living and could have no
outdoor antenna.
He really missed checking daily into his Kadiddlehoppers' net on 40m.
While visiting home (Oklahoma) one year, I learned of that and built him a
40m magnetic loop, using only wood and coax.
With that and his TS-120, he was able to check in daily to his 40m SSB net.
See: http://www.dj0ip.de/my-favorite-antennas/old-folks-antenna/
Of course it would have been better if I had had a variable capacitor, but I
couldn't find one locally, so I just improvised.  My uncle was a happy
camper!

For receive only, all you need is the big loop, little loop, and any
variable capacitor with enough capacitance.
The spacing on the capacitor is not important.  Important is "how you build
the smaller loop".   Many examples found on the Internet are wrong.

Which band or bands are you interested in?

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)