Re: [TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 16:46:16 -0400
Well... the Wellbrook and DX-E antennas I mention do. Not sure about Rick's loop. But even of that type, a preamp locate at the base of the loop is done. There are loads of articles on these receiver loops on the internet, as SW listeners are fond of them - broadband and quiet. Although, as Rick says, some guys mix up the feed point arrangement, and so you want to be careful about how you do yours.

I doubt the rig preamp would be useful here, except to FURTHER boost the signal (and any noise - darn it.) As rick mentioned the magnetic field is the key to this type of antenna, and a preamp is often used just to get a useful signal to the rig (low tech explanation, sorry) so i doubt you can substitute the Jupiter preamp in lieu of the loop preamp.

Further, I suspect the preamp is constructed such as to present a 50 ohm load to the receiver input - you would have to accommodate that if you dispensed with the loop preamp in lieu of the rig preamp.

Hope this makes sense.

=================  JHR  ===============================

On 4/26/2014 4:24 PM, ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:  loop you want.  I used mine

Do these loops require a low noise preamp? I don't think the Jupiter has
it's own built in preamp.

See The Wellbrook products here:

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/antennashop/

I have also used a DX-Engineering active whip with good results.  I have
mine in the front yard, away from the transmitting antennas in the back
yard, and it has a very low profile.  These work on the electrical
portion of the electromagnetic waves we work with.  They have a single
vertical whip model, and a dipole model, and you can see them here:

single vertical model:

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-arav3-1p

dipole model:

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-arah3-1p

I have used both the Wellbrook loop and the DX-E active whip with good
results as receive only HF antenna on my small suburban lot, although
they are substantially more expensive than Rick's home brew project.  I
know several SWL's who have built similar loops to Rick's project, with
good results. It is a classic.

Happy trails.