Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?
From: Carter <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 15:22:49 -0400
On 5/14/2014 6:32 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
Carter,

> Most of the time this type of problem is caused by common mode
> current. I don't think the 25' away from the house is the problem.
> The problem would be an imbalance in the current on the feedline.

I suspect you are correct. This does not surprise me in that the antenna itself (132 foot dipole at 25 feet above ground) is anything but physically balanced. The dipole is not in a straight line (bent at about 70 degrees), half of the antenna is over grass, the other half passes over the house, different halves are closer or further from trees, etc, etc all due to the lay of the land and available mounting points (trees) -- so, anything but "balanced". Unless you are very fortunate or have your antenna in hypothetical free space, unequal currents i.e. feed line radiation, is virtually unavoidable.

> I can't say whether or not something is wrong with your OMVI. Of
> course it is possible.

At this point, that seems to be the main suspect. I have been getting input from a few sources (some of which shall remain nameless) that this radio, at least in its early days, had the dreaded "Pin One" problem.

So that is the bush I was beating around: any specific, known cure for an Omni VI Pin One problem... or any Yaecomwoods that are known to NOT have a Pin One problem.

> However my recommendation is an RF choke on the openwire. YES, there
> is such an animal!
>
> I don't know if you can buy them ready-built in the states but you
> can buy them here. They are also very easy to build if you can't buy
> them. What you do is build a short thin openwire using two 18" pieces
> of Teflon insulated wire secured side by side. Use heat shrink tubing
> to secure them.  They will have about 100 Ohms, but that doesn't
> matter for just 18 inches. Then slip a string of ferrite beads over
> them.  Best would be #43 material. You can use the same ones used for
> RG-213.

As an aside, it sounds similar to the device I have on the input side of the Johnson Matchbox -- a commercial device I bought years ago (can't remember the name brand) -- that is a piece of coax about 18" long, the diameter of RG-58, 50 ferrite beads covered with heat shrink. Interesting idea to try a similar device on the antenna (open wire) side of the tuner.

73,
Carter   K8VT