Re: [TenTec] Grounds

To: "George Fritkin" <georgefritkin@yahoo.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Grounds
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 20:53:56 -0500
The original question, as I recall, "how do we ground an antenna sitting on the dirt?"

First, what configuration is the antenna? A tower has specific requirements, a vertical requires a different method, a dipole or beam another, and inverted L still another. In other words, isn't quite that simple.

A vertical - A driven ground rod at its base and multiple radials extending out at a depth of 6" or less. Radials ideally should be 1/4 wavelength and the quantity, over about 65 yields little return on efforts. Usually 8 to 20 is a good starting number. Lightning protection is required at the point where the feedlline enters the structure. This should be a suitable protection device and driven ground.

A dipole or beam - No ground for the antenna required. But its supporting structure may require a grounding system. Lightning protection is required at the point the feedlline enters the structure.

A inverted L - A good radial system at the base of the supporting structure and lightning protection is required at the point the feedline enters the structure.

NOTE: Any driven ground or grounds MUST be bonded back to the AC mains ground at the service entrance. This bond should run around the perimeter of the structure and never under or through the structure.

Now the question of station equipment grounding. If the antenna presents anywhere near a suitable load, and the feedline from the transmitter is coax, then no ground is required for the equipment other than the safety ground as prescribed by the National Electrical Code. i.e. 3 rd pin ground. If the feedline is balanced, that is reasonability balanced to within 10% or less, again no equipment ground is needed, other than the safety ground as prescribed by the National Electrical Code.

If one is operating an end fed wire direct to the station equipment then a very robust and complete ground system is required in as much as the transmitter is, in effect, in series with the antenna. In general, we do not use this method with today's equipment.

Just remember, the antenna provides a load for the transmitter and it is this antenna that works against earth which we often confuse incorrectly as ground. Ground is a zero voltage point.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Fritkin via TenTec" <tentec@contesting.com>