[TenTec] The Eagle is Flying High!

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] The Eagle is Flying High!
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 15:59:38 -0500
Just thought you'd like to know.

73
Bob, K4TAX

A few days back, we were lucky enough to get a package in the mail from
Bob/K4TAX. Since I had never been able to operate a Ten Tec, made in this
Century. Bob was generous enough to send his Mint, Pre Production Ten Tec Eagle
to us for about Three Weeks. I believe that this is the one he beta tested
before they were released to the public. The manual says that it's Birthday is
July 2010. Or maybe that is when the manual was printed? All I can say is Wow!
Just like the Corsair of Legend, this radio has the Quietest Receiver, since
the Corsair, maybe better. My friend has an Omni VI option 3 that we thought
was Great. The Eagle Receiver seems to beat the pants off of it also. And it
may be Quieter. If, you run the RF Gain back to about the 12 o'clock position
and advance the AF Gain a bit. You really don't hear much until somebody
speaks. And you don't need to run the RF Gain back to have a Very Quiet
Receiver. The Auto Notch feature takes a couple of seconds to engage but, when
it does..... Wow... Where did that offending 20 over 9.. Tuner Upper Go? With
full filter complement, the really cool thing is that these filters are engaged
automatically when you turn the Bandwidth Control. When we turned the radio on
and made the first contact, I was told that it sounds Great on the Air. So, if
it ain't broke, I don't want to adjust on it until it is !!! We haven't made
any CW contacts yet but, the CW Receive is Impressive also. We have twisted and
adjusted most everything on the receiver. So far there are Three things that we
don't like about it.

1. It is not mine.

2. The Phone Jack is either Speaker or Headphone. My Paragon will play both
when the jack is partially plugged in. An easy work around. Makes for diversity
in hearing.

3. And last and also Least .... my friend calls it a Tater TOT Radio. With no
Orange Dot between the Iconic Ten Tec T's it does look like the word? ...TOT.

The Transmitter with the Model 709a Microphone seems to cause folks to send
back Great Audio Reports. With the Auto Tuner, we are having Lots more fun with
the 5btv Vertical. ( My first Auto Tuner ) If we find anything of importance
lacking with the Eagle. I will report back promptly. For now we just hope no
tears come to our eyes when we are due to return it to Bob. The Paragon is
getting a much needed tune up. DeOxit and Connectors/Connections cleaned up.
Maybe, 10 to 15 years from now, when they reach my Price Range. I will be able
to stand one on it's back and with a small artists bru sh, fill that O between
the T's with a small dab of Tennessee Orange Paint......

                                              73 to All from Wade/KJ4WS

.