Re: [TenTec] Plug confusion

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Plug confusion
From: Jim Allen <jim.allen@longhornband.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 19:02:44 -0500
The brand new fireproof ones I got from MARS back in the late 50's didn't
have cables or connectors.  I'm on my 3rd Bencher.  The last two used ones
had cable and 1/4" connectors.  The new one I bought at HRO probably came
with the cable and a connector or two and you had to put it together which
ever way you needed.  Now it's a $13 option.

In case I expressed myself too subtlety for some, I'm not griping about
keys not coming with cable and connectors.  I'm complaining that every
radio manufacturer uses a different connector scheme, which makes swapping
back and forth for important testing purposes impossible unless you have a
junk box full of adapters.  I have noticed that they are exactly the
opposite, too.  If the Icom uses a 1/4" phone plug, the Tentec uses a
1/8".  If the Icom uses a 1/8", the TenTec calls for a 1/4".  Or the RCA
jacks which not even Radio Shacks carry adapters for anymore.

The el cheapo MFJ straight key the League sold me last year didn't have a
cable, but that may have been lucky.  If it had come with a cable I might
have actually tried to use it.  If you know anyone interested in getting
into CW, do them a huge favor.  Tell them to stay away from this key.  The
League shouldn't do this to Life Members either.  It's nice to send out
"birthday gifts" I guess but who at the League is dumb enough, or
malevolent enough, to want to foist this key off on members in good
standing?   This is Might Poor Junk.  Maybe MFJ pays part of its ad bills
in merchandise or something.

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen