[TenTec] It's amazing how much fun you can have when stuff just works

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] It's amazing how much fun you can have when stuff just works
From: Mike Newell <mnewell1@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 18:14:49 -0500
I've had a really good time on the radio this weekend. I spent most of my operating time on six meters, working band openings. But I've also operated the HF bands, from 40 up through 10 meters.

The one thing that contributed the most to the fun is that stuff just worked. That's a simple concept, and sometimes it seems difficult to achieve.

I use the N4PY software to control the radio and the amplifier. It also talks to my logging program and the HDSDR software that I use to run the software defined receiver that provides the panadapter display for the Omni VII.

So think about the various pieces of software that have to work together, and the hardware connected to the computer that has to work together, and all of the cables, coax, switches, paddles, power supplies, microphones, digital interface boxes, and everything else that makes up our stations, and how we can have ground loops, RF in the audio, sound card and other problems, and it sometimes seems amazing that it works at all.

Sometimes it's the simple things that give us satisfaction or a good experience, and for me, this weekend, it was because stuff just worked the way it was supposed to work, without problems. It was a good weekend.

73,

Mike - WB4HUC
http://wb4huc.home.texas.net