[TenTec] OT: Acoustic Silencing Switching PS Transformers

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Acoustic Silencing Switching PS Transformers
From: "Elmore, Kimberly L." <kelmore@ou.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 01:36:48 +0000
This is admittedly off-topic, but if any expertise exists I figure it
will be among the denizens of this list.

I have a Kenwood TS-930S with the Piexx enhanced microprocessor board
installed. That board uses a small, on-board switching power supply. The
board works flawlessly, as does the rig. The problem is that the
transformer, which uses a two-piece ferrite core, "sings" at a frequency
that I can't hear, but that my kids can and find annoying. Chris at
Piexx said to squeeze the transformer a bit and, in messing with it,
I'll probably silence it. Indeed, I managed to do so and in the process
found several situations where even I could hear it and it was
surprisingly loud , but the problem has returned. Chris is sending me a
metal clip that is now used on the transformer in hopes that it will
permanently solve the problem.

If the clip doesn't do the trick, can I get away with getting the
transformer silent and then applying Q-Dope or some thinned epoxy to
hold it in whatever position keeps it quiet (sort of a half-baked
potting process)? Or will that, instead, guarantee that I'll never be
able to fix it if the ferrite halves shift a tiny bit as everything sets up?

Kim N5OP