Re: [TenTec] More OT: Acoustic Switching PS Noise

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] More OT: Acoustic Switching PS Noise
From: Wade Staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 10:11:53 -0700
*The transistor that is getting hot, may be doing that because it is leaky.
Or in other words has developed leakage between any of the 3 elements to
another. You may be able to remove both transistors and check them on the
RX1 scale of your DVM or Analog Meter. Standard Diode test back and forth
between the Base and Collector and the Base and Emitter. I would also
suggest moving the meter to something like the Rx1K scale in the Ohm Meter
setting and checking both transistors for leakage/resistance. The
resistance between the base to collector and base to emitter and such all
the way around on the RX1K Scale of your DVM or VOM should have an infinite
reading on that scale. Transistors are Cheap. My advise would be to check
this out before something avalanches and takes out several components.
Also, check the Capacitors in circuit if, you can find a friend with an ESR
Meter. Look closely at the Capacitors to see if any have a Domed look at
the top or are leaking at the bottom. Best of Luck with it my Friend.*
*                                           73 from Wade/KJ4WS*