Re: [TenTec] The sky is falling!

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The sky is falling!
From: "Kris Merschrod" <Kris@merschrod.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 08:17:04 -0400
Well stated, Jeramy

Kris KM2KM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeramy Ross" <jeramy@w5xtl.org>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 9:34 PM
Subject: [TenTec] The sky is falling!

Hello all,

The negativity surrounding Ten-Tec's merger and now the "mega-sale" that
was first mentioned back when the merger was first being announced has me
baffled.

Yes, the merger is going to lead to changes for both companies, but who is
to say that it will be negative?  I certainly can't accurately foresee how
things will end up.  Neither can the vast majority here who see it fit to
already be singing some variation of a swan song for Ten-Tec.

Then there's the doom and gloom and songs of betrayal brought about by the
"mega-sale." Yes, if you we're planning to flip one of the three rigs, your
expected return on your investment has decreased.  However, take note that
this is, after all, a hobby. The "mega-sale" opens the door for us less
fiscally gifted to purchase some great radios that may have been just out
of our reach.  I just purchased a used Orion from Ten-Tec three months
ago.  I've drooled over the Orion from the first day I saw its specs.  I,
and many others among our ranks, count on the eventual depreciation of
these great rigs so that we too can enjoy them. That and Ten-Tec's payment
plan that helps in a large part as well.

I'd wager that there is a significant subset of folks that are turned off
by the bemoaning.  A comparison to a roundtable of crusty old operators
complaining about their prostate troubles on 80m is fair.  Its strikes the
same tone with us youngsters who love this hobby no less than those who've
been at this since the days of the spark gap (exaggeration fully
intentional).   Just think... With all the effort put forth in all of this
bellyaching, you could have spent that time on the air instead.  You
know... Enjoying these great rigs instead of fretting over what the future
may or may not hold.  Maybe even being one of the first QSOs for some new
ham and giving them the thrill of a lifetime and igniting that fire that
could become a lifelong source of fun just like I hope it is for all of us
here.

Let's get back to enjoying this great hobby of ours.  For those of us in
the US of A, today is an especially important day to be thankful for our
freedoms that include this great hobby of ours.

Respectfully,
Jeramy W5XTL