Re: [TenTec] Omni VI & SignaLink USB

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI & SignaLink USB
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 05:45:47 -0500
G M to all.

In the case of the Omni VI radio there is no provision to select either the front MIC input or the rear AUDIO IN input. These are isolated via each other using a 10K resistor to each input but are both active inputs all of the time. Thus both the SignaLink and mike are connected to the mike amplifier at a summing point inside the radio. What we found is noise being introduced into the audio when both are connected and the mike is being used. Further we found that this did not happen when the SignaLink was ON but no data being generated but noise did occur when the SignaLink was OFF.

Once I realized what was happening it was clearly understandable. There is an opamp that drives the SignaLink output transformer which feeds audio to the radio. When the SignaLink is ON the source impedance or output impedance of the opamp is very low thus the circuit, cables, transformer and such is properly terminated as a low source impedance. When the SignaLink is OFF the audio stage floats to a very high Z and the associated circuit acts more like a random piece and length of wire connected to the AUDIO IN on the Omni VI. Thus noise is induced.

The solution was then very clear and simple. Just keep the SignaLink USB powered at all times. Or disconnect the AUDIO IN cable from the back of the radio. In the specific installation, that is not the easiest thing to do due to the physical layout of the station.

Thanks to all for your excellent suggestions.

We live and learn every day.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Al Sirois" <alsirois@roadrunner.com>