Re: [TenTec] Rigs at WRTC

To: "Mike Stricker" <info4mjs@yahoo.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Rigs at WRTC
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:59:50 -0500
One point on radio selection that I suggest trying. From a generally accepted contest radio selection, based on the Sherwood Receiver test data, I encourage anyone to import the current chart into EXCEL. Then sort by brand and model and then by any other factor or factors you wish. Then what radio brand or model comes out to be #1. You'll be surprised.

One other observation on the WRTC radios. The top three teams radios each represents a certain percentage of the entire radio choices. Of note, some 63% of the radios were the K-3 model. Yet only 16.6% of those ended up being used by the top three teams. Something sure seems out of balance.

Yes, I agree, many factors impact ones choice of equipment for the event. As one pointed out, two of the K-3's in soft side cases are very light weight to transport. What figure of merit should apply here on this point? And familiarity of a radio is another factor of merit although a bit difficult to measure. There are many more factors that go into choices of radios not to mention price being one. Obviously some of the radios used were much more expensive than others. Then there were a couple that placed very high that are older and discontinued models yet they still managed to present a really decent performance. This says to me then there is something else in the winning equation besides the latest radio technology.

Certainly appears to me the factors of radio choice, logging software choice and familiarity of same and operator skills with the radio and software must be balanced to be successful. Move one out or away and the vector result will be downward.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Stricker via TenTec" <tentec@contesting.com>