Re: [TenTec] 160 Meter Problem

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 Meter Problem
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 22:51:03 +0200
Hi Jim,

It was nearly midnight last night when I read the entire presentation.
I sure wish I could have heard the audio that accompanied it.

Yes indeed, I overlooked the "vertical rules on 160m".  Missed that point.
That's it in a nutshell!  That pretty much nails it!

Total waste of time to even fool with horizontal antennas on 160m unless you
just want to rag chew with the local yuks.  It took me many years to arrive
at this conclusion.  What a difference it made to my contest scores once I
switched to verticals!

I haven't gotten any further yet with your material.
My XYL had surgery today and I spent the entire day in the clinic.
As I wrote earlier, there is so much meat in your paper, it will take a
couple of days to go through all of this.
While hanging out in the clinic today, I wished I had had the time to print
your stuff out and take it with me, but it was just too late last night.
The reading material in the waiting room wasn't exactly my flavor.

Also, as a result of reading your paper, it reminded me that I hadn't
uploaded my own folded radial vertical to my web yet, so I did that this
evening, including the EZNEC model of the antenna.  It is a simple,
effective 40 DX antenna requiring very little floor space.

Mine had only one bend in the radial (copied from a Moxon design in RadCom).
>From your link to K2VA I saw it still works good with multiple bends which
make 80 and 160m more feasible.
Tnx for the tip.  Hadn't ever heard of that before.  I have lots of reading
to do!

Here's a link to my vertical with the single folded radial:
http://www.dj0ip.de/vertical-antennas/40m-low-space/

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)