Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Opt. 3 Question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Opt. 3 Question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 06:58:40 -0500
The Omni VI is a crystal mixing radio and does have a few birdies lurking around.

In an effort to reduce the birdies, I replaced most of the ribbon cables with longer cables in order to run each one of the cables through a ferrite donut with a couple of turns. The ferrite was located at the end close to the processor/logic board. There's some multi-lead cables that use IDC connectors as terminations. Several of these were disassembled, a bead of #43 material was put on each one. All of this around the processor/logic board.

And be sure the 15.3015 and 15.3000 adjustments for the PBT are correct. These are C24 and R18 respectively.

I was able to get rid of or reduce most of the birdies but again I say "most". It takes a lot of trial and error to identify and correct the issues. In my case this was most successful with the Omni VI Plus. The Omni VI opt3 that I've serviced were a bit different but still birdies are heard mostly on the higher frequency bands.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Marx" <sndtubes@vacuumtubes.com>