[TenTec] Hercules 444 linear

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules 444 linear
From: Douglas via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 00:58:24 -0700
Does anyone on here have a working Ten-Tec Hercules 444 (the ORIGINAL Hercules)?

The power supply in mine was submerged in salt water by Hurricane Sandy.
After doing nothing for a year - my bad- I flushed it out with fresh water,
then cleaning solvents.
I hesitantly powered it it up. No smoke came out but it put out about 60 volts
telling me that the regulator circuit wasn't working.

I was actually relieved by the above since it showed that the transformer and
filter chokes were fine. After replacing the voltage set pot and a few
electrolytics on the regulator board, all seemed fine. The supply puts out 45
volts as designed under no load conditions.

However, under full load of 1200 watts PEP input, a load of about 24 amps, the
supply voltage drops to about 35 volts - odd for a supply that is supposed to
be regulated. I don't remember how it was before the flood and so don't know
what is normal. The pass transistors are moderately warm, seem to be doing
their job and all seems normal...

Anyone with a working unit that can offer a comparison?

tnx es 73,

Doug/WA1TUT