Re: [TenTec] BIG THANKS TO JOHN HENRY

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] BIG THANKS TO JOHN HENRY
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 07:33:09 +0100
Tnx for the suggestion, but I don't want rig control by the computer.
I see no benefit during contesting, beyond band change with the logging
program and VFO following the Band Map.
The only knobs I use are RF Gain and Passband Tuning.

N4PY would indeed enable an easy toggle of the VFO tuning rate, but it would
mean running an additional app on an already marginal computer.

Besides, there is no place on my screen for more windows - the contest
software's multiple tiny windows occupies the entire screen.

Here's the main point:  I am not willing to spend any money on that stuff
because it's basically a once or twice a year event.  Other than that, all I
do with that computer is run a simple logging program and N4PY software for
casual operations.  It's perfectly suited for that purpose.

The best solution would be a hack to the firmware, making a long push to the
button toggle down a step.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)