Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: Neil Martinsen-Burrell <neilmartinsenburrell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:54:18 -0500
On the TenTec Rebel list recently, PA3ANG showed off a bluetooth module
that he had plugged in to the ChipKit microprocessor in the 506 Rebel which
acted as a serial monitor for the state of the transceiver.  He showed a
terminal program on his smartphone displaying the frequency and other
operating information.

It is only a matter of degree from there to a more full-featured CAT
interface operating on the smartphone controlling the radio.  As more and
more people carry small touchscreen computers in their pockets, it seems
likely that the additional interfaces imagined by DJ0IP and K8JHR will be
smartphones or tablets.  It is quite easy to imagine a future TenTec SDR
that is Bluetooth or WiFi enabled and could be controlled remotely by a
custom set of knobs and buttons (which really ought to have programmable
LCD button labels instead of F1-F6), by an attached PC running SDR
software, as well as by a smartphone running a rig control app the likes of
which we haven't even seen yet.

The live audio mixing industry experienced a similar change as mixing
consoles became digital rather than analog and now the sound engineer can
be walking around the venue mixing the show from his iPad.  Imagine a
TS-480 form factor RF box that sits under the operating desk and talks to
whatever interface peripheral is preferred by the operator.  Elecraft is
nearly there with the K3/0 which is just a particularly robust and
device-specific interface device.  An interested party could almost
certainly reverse engineer the serial protocol used by the K3/0 and decode
it on a computer and use the input to control a generic SDR.

Many people (W6JL among them) have said that there is no better time to be
a radio homebrewer than now, and I think that it is also true that there is
no better time to be a radio UI homebrewer.  There will be a great deal of
innovation on this front in the next 10 years.  Kudos to TenTec for giving
us the Rebel and allowing innovation to thrive again.

-Neil KD0UKC