[TenTec] Omni B Clackety-Clack no more?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni B Clackety-Clack no more?
From: Neil Martinsen-Burrell <neilmartinsenburrell@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 23:43:47 -0600
I have been running almost exclusively CW on my Omni B as I work on my code
speed and skill.  Having heard about the wonderful QSK from TenTec radios,
I am indeed pleased with what I am hearing between characters.  My problem
is that it isn't nearly silent with a harsh clacking from a relay as I key.

It appears from reading online (
http://www.tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=561relnoise) that there is a mod for
the Corsair to quiet the auxiliary relay.  I am not using an external
amplifier and have no need of the auxiliary relay.  Can I do something
similar to what is suggested for the Corsair on my Omni 546B to stop the
relay from making its clicking noise?  Or will the TR reed relay still make
noise no matter what?

That wiki page suggests a number of possible modifications like shorting
the base to emitter, or lifting the base resistor, or putting cardboard
between the relay contacts(!).  Is one of those changes better than the
others? Is such a mod safe?  Or must I learn to love the clackety-clack as
an essential part of this otherwise wonderful old radio?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

-Neil KD0UKC