Re: [TenTec] Orion II Questions

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II Questions
From: "Tony Lelieveld" <va3dwi@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:21:31 -0500
Dave,

On my ORION-II I generally run the RF gain between 65 and 75, average around 68. For me this is a comfortable setting to keep the noise down and I'm not being blown out of my chair when a very strong station jumps out while tuning. I mostly adjust the audio with the volume control. On occasion, when the signal is extremely strong, I'll reduce my RF gain to as low as 50 or use the attenuator to cut out all back ground noise which makes it sound as good as a station on VHF. Especially on a long chatty type QSO it pays to keep the RF gain as low as possible. I almost NEVER use the pre-amp. The RX has plenty of gain and the pre-amp also raises the noise floor.

For both CW and SSB I use the PROG AGC as follows:
Hang: 0.21 Sec.  Decay: 8dB/S  Threshold 1 u.

For AM, I use Fast: Hang 0.0 Sec.  Decay 80 dB/s Threshold 1 uV.

In the later firmware versions the designations Fast, Slow and Medium are all individually programmable as well, the same as the Prog settings. It is very nice to tailor these settings to your individual taste and be able to switch quickly between any of them by repeatedly pressing the AGC button on the radio.

The S-meter may not act the way you expect it to. Depending on the firmware you are using, the S-meter does NOT follow the AGC. I use Ver.3.033xd. The S-meter follows the signal as it appears at the antenna input. Even if you have programmed the Hang-time for a loooong time, for example 2 Sec., the S-meter will not hang for that time period, the AGC does. I very seldom use the Slow or Medium setting. The Prog. and Fast does it all for me. The ORION-II is the BEST radio I've ever owned. It is now 7 years old and I never had a problem with it, knock..knock.

If there has to be any complaint about the radio at all, it is, IMO, the Noise Reduction (NR). It sucks and I don't ever use it. And before I get replies about that "none of them work", go listen to the NR on the TS 590. It does a good job. Again, this is "My Opinion". I still wouldn't trade it for anything else hi.. hi.

Good Luck es 73,
Tony VE3DWI.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David and Dianne on Comcast" <dhhdeh@comcast.net>