Re: [TenTec] Antenna Help

To: "'Greg S'" <oldlongbeard@yahoo.com>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna Help
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 08:47:14 +0100
Don's reply to the request for Antenna Help is EXCELLENT.
Clearly he has had a lot of experience.

I would like to comment on two of his points - Balun and the bungee.

First the BUNGEE:
Living in Oklahoma from 2007 thru 2010, my antennas were subject to a lot of
UV.
I did not do as Don recommended.  I used local bungee cords purchased at the
local Walmart.
I had to replace them every year.  The WX and UV destroyed them within a
year.
Sounds like Don knows something I didn't.  Next time I do this I will
certainly try real rubber bungees.

Now the BALUN:
I am going to use an example to challenge Don's response to this, though he
was not exactly wrong.

***Recently a soccer mom asked me what would be a good car to haul the
neighborhood boys to the soccer practice.  I replied with 'many soccer moms
seem to be satisfied with a Chrysler'.  So she bought a Chrysler Crossfire.
- I was thinking Voyager or Town and Country.  She followed my advice but
got it totally wrong.***

It is EXACTLY the same with baluns.
Although DX-Engineering, Balun Designs, and Comtek all make good quality
baluns, it is possible to buy one of these and make exactly the same mistake
described above with the Chrysler.

These companies make as many different type of baluns as Chrysler makes
different types of cars.
In many cases, only one of their models is the right one.
BUYER BEWARE!  Otherwise you might end up with a good implementation of the
wrong technology!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)