Re: [TenTec] [connect toa "AL 811 Amp."

To: "'Hal'" <aa2id@aol.com>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [connect toa "AL 811 Amp."
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:31:24 +0100
Hal,

We have to look at two issues separately here.

1.  Setting up the Corsair.

2.  What is going on with the amplifier.

First the Corsair:

1.  The old RCA Phono jacks on any radio or amp have a tendency to corrode a
bit.  I suspect you initially had a bad connection to the Corsair's EXT T/R
jack.  You should clean the outside of the jack with a bronze-wire brush.
For the inside pin of the jack, you can try cleaning it with something
abrasive such as a round tooth pick.

There is some kind of contact cleaner the guys keep recommending in the
states... something like Oxite... sorry, I can't remember the exact name.
We have a similar substance here but with a different name.  IMPORTANT, if
you use that, then remove the cabinet from the Corsair and spray from inside
towards the outside, so that you don't gum up the works inside the radio.
Or else spray onto a tooth pick and apply the cleaner fluid with it.  Follow
the directions on the can.  Ours says to allow it about 10 minutes before
wiping it off.

The Corsair can work full break-in but the AL-811 cannot.  The old
open-frame T/R relay in the AL-811 has no chance of following the CW keying.
Besides making a lot of racket, it will soon burn the contacts.

The Corsair has an adjustable keying delay (hang delay) for its EXT T/R
signal.  You can adjust this for about 1/2 second hang delay and then the
amp's relay won't try to follow the keying.  (more below)

Unfortunately the Corsair sends RF sooner than the AL-811's relay has
switched.  The approximate timing after keying a dit is, after about 5ms,
the RF begins to ramp up, taking about 6ms to reach the full power level.
So after about 11 ms, the RF is there.  Unfortunately the AL-811's relay
takes at least 17ms and on average about 20ms to switch and settle.  So you
will always be hot switching a little with the first dit.  As long as the
amp's relay remains keyed, you won't be hot switching, so it is even better
to set the corsair's delay to about 3/4 second.

The delay is an adjustable thumb-potentiometer on the control board.
CAREFUL; there are two adjustable pots on that board.  Be absolutely sure
you are adjusting the right one.

The only way to completely avoid hot switching would be to use an external
keyer with adjustable delay times, such as the MFJ-495 (which is what I
use).  I use 25ms of pre-dit delay and about a half second of post-dit
(hang) delay.

The hot switching, assuming you have the hang delay set properly, is not a
huge problem, but eventually it will cause corrosion on the relay contacts
inside the AL-811.  Occasionally you will need to clean the relay contacts.
I use a burnishing tool which I purchased at Radio Shack years ago.  I dunno
if they are still in business.  Some people use a dollar bill to clean the
relay contacts.  It is abrasive enough.

Now problem no. 2, the Amplifier:
We need to determine the cause of wrong current in idle.
Two possibilities; either the Corsair is transmitting RF or a parasitic
signal when it should not be, or something is wrong with the amp

Begin by unplugging the cable from the Corsair's EXT/TR jack, but be sure
the other end is plugged into the amp.
Place the amp into operate mode on any band.
While watching the meters, touch the center pin of the cable to the chassis
of the amp.
This will key the amp.

Grid current should be almost nothing and plate current should rise to
whatever value the book has stated (I believe you said 110 mA).  Look it up
in the manual.  It should definitely not go to full scale!
If the amp is not functioning properly with this test, then there is
something wrong with the amp, not the Corsair.

Assuming that the amp worked OK in the test above, make sure the amp is in
standby mode and plug the cable back into the Corsair's EXT/TR jack.
Now place the amp in operate mode

Again, is SSB mode with minimum power and minimum mic gain, key the PTT and
do not speak into the mic.
You should see the exact same meter readings you saw on the amp test above.
If not, then your Corsair is transmitting some kind of a signal - perhaps
the carrier null is not adjusted properly.  I believe there are adjustment
procedures for this in the manual.  There is always a chance that it is
transmitting some kind of a parasitic.  If you have a watt meter, insert it
between the corsair and the amplifier and see if it shows any power when
keying ptt without speaking into the mic.  It should not.

When tuning the amp, always begin tuning by running low power from the
Corsair; about 10 to 20 watts.
Do not begin tuning at full power.  Do this by setting the Corsair's power
to 20w and keying it with a straight key.  You can also place the corsair
into "LOCK" but just be sure it is not transmitting 100w when you do this.

Be sure that you set up the Amp's presets prior to beginning to tune.  This
means set the LOAD and PLATE Capacitors to the band markings on the front
panel and set the band position to the proper position.

With low power applied, first quickly rock the PLATE capacitor back and
forth, tuning for a DIP in Plate Current.
Once this is done, then the plate current should definitely be much lower
than full scale!

NEVER let the Grid Current exceed its maximum rating (as stated in the
manual).
Otherwise the chances are blowing a tube are high.
Too much Grid Current is the number one cause of tube failure.

I won't go further into tuning the amp; I'm sure you already know how to do
that.
Try all this stuff and see how far you get.

Gud Luk Hal!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)