Re: [TenTec] Paragon 585

To: chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@gmail.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon 585
From: "Lee WA3FIY" <wa3fiy@radioadv.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 09:52:04 -0500
Chuck mentioned on his web page that the Paragon only has 12 watts or so output
so he
suspects drive or PA problems if I read that correctly.  Could well be one of
those but there is
another possibility...bad relay on output low pass filter board.  If one or
more relays weld
closed this symptom will be present on several but not necessarily all bands.
I've had that
happen twice over the last dozen years or so.  Once on a Pegasus and once on a
Paragon.
So checking out the LP filter relays might be a good place to start.

For what it's worth, the failures were two different types.  The Pegasus simply
had a wear out
failure.  The Pagagon failure was caused by a leaking 9 volt memory backup
battery.  The
leakage contaminated a lowpass filter board on the bandswitching lines causing
one or more
relays to be closed when they were not supposed to be.  Why would a relay weld
you ask?
I'm thinking that being closed when it was not supposed to be caused high
circulating
currents on the LP filter board welding one of the relay contacts.   Not sure
about that but I
am sure the relay had stuck contacts and the radio acted like it had PA
failure. A replacement
relay fixed the problem.   :-)

Good hunting!

-Lee-

WA3FIY

On 4 Mar 2015 at 16:26, chuck adams wrote:

> Thanks to all who have helped and are helping on the
> Paragon 585 transceiver.
>
> I have a manual on the way with the schematics.
>
> I went to Home Depot and got a quart of Behr
> Premium Plus Ultra Interior Semi-Gloss Enamel.
> I took the cover in and they scanned it with their
> magic wand to get the color.

etc.

---