Re: [TenTec] diversity receive with a pair of OmniVIs???

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] diversity receive with a pair of OmniVIs???
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 21:48:35 -0400
You do need two antennas at right angles for diversity. You just need two antennas at slightly different locations. The idea is both constructive and destructive fading of a signal occurs because of a multipath signal. At any different point, the interference between the multipath signals could be a fade or a peak. So antenna 1 could be in a deep fade while antenna 2 is at a peak. So receiving on both greatly increases your chances that one antenna will never be in a deep fade. This QSB is most prominent on 80 and 160 meters where the wave lengths are long causing long times between fades and peaks.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com