Re: [TenTec] Super feedback on using Yamaha CM-500 with TT Orion II/any

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Super feedback on using Yamaha CM-500 with TT Orion II/any ideas about getting rid of RF pickup on electret elements?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 23:47:29 -0700
Hi Steve,

The amount by which you needed to increase the gain in the Orion is approximately the attenuation of the pad. I strongly recommend against using such a pad external to the radio on a microphone. A pad IS usually needed when we feed a Line Level signal to a mic input. I don't know anything about the Orion, so can't help with adjustment of controls or the pin-out of connectors. You've got to look that up in the manuals.

I know that K8JHR wrote a QST article recommending it. Nothing personal, but I'm an EE and audio engineer by profession. He's not. :) Last I heard, material for QST is not reviewed for accuracy, and I cringe every month at least once.

As to RFI -- carefully look at where the shields on the mic cable are connected at the rig. The ONLY proper connection of a cable shield is the CHASSIS. Many (most?) rigs screw up and connect it to the PC board instead. They call it "mic ground." Such a failure to connect the shield to the chassis is a MAJOR cause of RFI. In my rigs, if the connector shell is bonded to the chassis, that's where I connect the mic shield. If you are able to connect these shields to the chassis (DIRECTLY), it will likely solve your RFI issues. Both mic and headphone cables can couple RFI via this design error.

Neil Muncy, ex-W3WJE (SK) is generally credited with discovering and publishing about this in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society in 1995. Because Pin 1 of the XLR connectors is the designated shield contact, he named it "The Pin One Problem."

All the radios I looked at in Dayton booths last year appeared to have Pin One Problems at most of their accessory connectors. The tell-tale clue is a connector mounted to a PC board poking through a hole in the chassis.

There's a lot of tutorial material on my website about The Pin One Problem. k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC