Re: [TenTec] Orion II cold start problem

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II cold start problem
From: "Dave Borcher" <cq_k7ng@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 09:53:48 -0700
On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Byron Peebles <NZ3O@arrl.net> wrote:

> I have a problem with an Orion II when first powered on.

> The unit begins to come up:

>     1. Screen comes on, displays TT Logo, Firmware Revisions and so
on.

>     2. As the unit completes that boot, the S-Meter lights and the

> screen goes out.

>     3. With the screen out, there is nothing lit on the front panel.

> No selection lights at all.

>     4. If the screen stays lit, the lights are lit, but the main

> receiver seems muted.

>     5. With the main receiver muted, there is no transmit capability

> through either VFO.

>     6. I can hear on the sub-receiver (standard sub, not optional sub)

> but not transmit on it.

> Is this a problem that will involve the factory?

My Orion II does exactly that occasionally, and I have not determined
any specific cause.

I installed a new battery and I have changed all the electrolytic caps
on the A9 board, without significantly changing what happens or how
often it occurs.

I initially believed that it had something to do with variation of the
voltage supplied to the transceiver during the startup process, however
even though my Orion II is now on battery backup via a Super PowerGate
the problem still occurs, although it appears to occur much less often
now.

John Henry has been made aware of this specific malfunction and I think
that just possibly a fix may still be forthcoming, whether in some
firmware change that affects bootup or via some hardware mod.

I am sorry I can't offer a remedy, other than to tell you what I did,
and that you aren't the only one who has this happen.

73,  Dave  K7NG