Re: [TenTec] 2m amplifier for Tentec 6N2

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2m amplifier for Tentec 6N2
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:37:56 -0500
I had a 6N2 for a while. It worked fine with my more modern 2 meter Mirage amp, because that one has an adjustment for T/R hang time. My ancient Mirage 6 meter amplifier did not have that sort of adjustment, and since there is no way I know of to adjust the CW QSK speed on the 6N2, it was hammering the relays in the 6 meter amp badly when I was working CW.

I also found that its performance was not any better than my Argonaut II and my transverters. And, the Argo has an adjustment for amp keying hang time. So, I sold the much newer and flashier radio, and kept my old stuff.

The Argonaut II has the best noise blanker I have ever used, and that is a real help during auroral and some Es openings.

Your mileage may vary...

Steve WA9JML