Re: [TenTec] It's getting cold. Perfect antenna weather for a OCF dipole

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] It's getting cold. Perfect antenna weather for a OCF dipole
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 08:54:47 +0200
Mike,

You cannot buy the right balun at any price.  PERIOD.

I pointed out the two mistakes most balun manufacturers make.

The comtex balun you bought (built to Jerry Sevick, W2FMI) is insufficient.
There are two versions of these and neither is sufficient.
However you can still use it, if you do the following:

Build yourself an additional RF choke and attach it directly to the balun.
This adds weight, but will give you the additional CMI you need.
See "D2" near the bottom of this page of my web:
http://www.dj0ip.de/vertical-antennas/rf-cmc-choke/

Gud Luk.

If you want to run high power (more than 800w), you will need to glue two
cores together.
You won't find the coax I used, so use RG-142.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)