Re: [TenTec] Question?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Question?
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 22:33:03 -0500 (CDT)

 As the current owner of an Omni VII, OmniVI+, Corsair II, PM2B, and a small
assortment of other items...

I share the concern about certain parts becoming Unobtanium.

But let's all be honest for a moment.  It is unrealistic to expect (hope,
maybe, being another story) for ANY major manufacturer to keep a large or
near-unlimited supply of spare parts for rigs older than 10 years.

As some of us, and some of our fellow amateurs have found out, some
manufacturers don't stock parts more than about 5 years out.  Some don't even
stock parts for more than a few months after the rigs go out of production.
We've all heard the horror stories about a given rig... I won't bore everyone
with a recital.

Ten-Tec has traditionally been excellent at providing repair, advice, and parts
for rigs going much further back than 10 years... some going back 30 or more.
But there are limits.

And this doesn't mean that the parts are necessarily unavailable.  It is simply
not cost effective for Ten-Tec to reorder these parts.

We are seeing more of these situations, as time goes on, because (a) the parts
stockpile is dwindling or has gone bare on some parts, and (b) there are simply
more rigs aging that need TLC these days.

So this does not mean that anything has gone "wrong" at TT.  It simply means
that time has caught up to all of us.

73, ron w3wn