Re: [TenTec] Open Wire Line - A CASE FOR OCFD

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Open Wire Line - A CASE FOR OCFD
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 21:24:46 +0200
Wade, if your tuner spits and sputters on 15m, simply add 5 ft. more
feedline to it and it will straighten up and fly right.

On the coax loss, well unless you're using that cheap Rat Shack stuff, then
you are kind of exaggerating the amount of loss in the coax, assuming it is
connected to something like a dipole or OCFD (properly designed and
matched).

High loss comes from feeding higher SWR with coax.  If your antenna's SWR is
less than 5:1 and your run of good quality coax is less than 100 ft., then
the loss is negligible.  Confirm this in any ARRL Handbook in the chapter on
transmission lines, in the paragraph titled "SWR Myths".

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)