Re: [TenTec] Ten tec omni 6+ (5 mhz PLL board)

To: w4mjr@att.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten tec omni 6+ (5 mhz PLL board)
From: Joe Papworth via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 08:03:04 -0500
 Hi Mike,
Here's my final synopsis. There's more here than you'll probably ever need to
know. By the way, the info is also on the reflector from back in '09 when I had
the problem.?
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TenTec/2009-10/msg00238.html

I suggest you compare my symptoms to what you're rig is doing and
if it's the same (or very similar), just go for the?jugular and hit ALL the
connections on the 5 mhz PLL board.?

Later, Joe

Radio Dudes: I figured I'd give you a final (I hope) synopsis on the
PLL/Synthesizer  problems I dealt with recently. The info may come in handy for
someone, some  day. By the way, thanks to those who steered me towards the PLL
board.  Otherwise, my radio might still be broken. (or in Sevierville)
Symptoms:The display reads correctly. It even changes when you turn the VFO.
However, the received freq doesn't change. How did I know that?   When I
changed bands to 160, I could hear an AM broadcast station.  Turning the VFO
didn't change what I was hearing. Fixing it:It was suggested that I check the 5
to 5.5 Mhz output from the PLL. I  didn't have a freq counter, so I used a
Tektronix 456B, which is a 200 Mhz  scope. The output showed as 5.8 Mhz and it
did not change when cranking the VFO  or hitting the up/down buttons.   The 2
inputs to the board (10  Mhz clock and serial freq data) appeared to be good,
so I  was pretty sure I was on the right track.  NOTE: The output also h
 ad what seemed like a low voltage level (1 volt  p/p). I called Ten Tec about
the sig level, but they didn't know what it should  be. (More on that later)
Another Ham who had PLL board problems strongly suggested that I  re-heat
suspect connections on the board. I did this (in fact, I  hit every connection
on the board) and the radio worked for 2  days. While it was in the working
state, I scoped the PLL output and saw it  change with the up/down buttons. The
voltage level was 1 volt p/p in the working  state, so I now knew that was
correct. For the next few days, the radio would work then not work. I tried to
"make  it fail" with heat and cold, but those didn't seem to make a difference.
During  this process, I made a few notes and drawings of various waveforms and
levels around the board. Unfortunately, 3 weeks have passed and some  of those
notes don't make any sense to me now. Here are the ones that  do: 1) At the
junction labeled "Test point" (duh...go figure) on the P
 LL  schematic: When working, and the rig set to 40 meters, it had a 100 mv
sine wave riding on a 325  mv DC level. (I forgot to record the  freq).  When
failing, it was nearly at ground potential (less than 15 mv),  with no sine
wave. 2) At U4, pin 5, with the rig working, I saw 775 mv when on 40  meters. I
didn't record it in a failed state. 3) At R11 and R12, with the rig working:
You should see a 5 volt level,  with negative-going spikes to ground, every 100
usec. 4) U5, pin 6, with the rig working: 133 Mhz signal. I can't remember if
it  was square or sine. 5) U4, pin 7, with the rig working: 2 v DC 6) U4, pin
1, with the rig working: 3.5 v DC "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good"
While beating on components to try make it work, I noticed that a  slight tap
on L12 could make the rig fail or work. I re-heated the connections  to L12,
(including L12's case to ground on top of the board) and the  radio has been
fine since. That was over 2 weeks ago. I even got brav
 e enough to  put it all back together several days ago and it's still working.
 Hopefully, it's been put to bed. Later,  Joe