Re: [TenTec] Flex Radio for Contesting

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Flex Radio for Contesting
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 06:12:19 -0500
I invite interested parties to read the entire latency thread I started
over on the Flex forum:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/receive-latency

The bottom line, as far as I can tell, is that Flex engineering made a
clear decision, at this point anyway, of providing only ULTRA steep (i.e.,
vertical) filter slopes resulting in higher latency.  I make the argument
that shallower filter slopes are often preferable and should be an option.

When you look at the filter slopes of the Orion (combined xtal roofing
filter plus 199 taps dsp), it's no coincidence that they match the filter
slopes on the Omni VI+ (3 xtal filters in the signal path in cw).  The
Elecraft K3 slopes are similar as well.  And those somewhat shallower
slopes are what I prefer - they sound better to my ear on cw ragchewing,
and they allow me to hear callers that are slightly off my cq'ing frequency
in a contest.  The PowerSDR line of SDR's (old Flex and new OpenHPSDR/ANAN)
allow the user to widely adjust the filter slopes, but the new Flex
(SmartSDR) doesn't allow this (yet).

Barry N1EU