[TenTec] "44"

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "44"
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 15:33:41 +0100
"Years", that is.

I bought my first Ten-Tec, an Argonaut 505, for Christmas in 1974.

I have owned at least one Ten-Tec transceiver continuously since that time.

Except for a short spell in the mid 1980s where I ran an ICOM as the main
radio for 2 years, I have always had a Ten-Tec on my main operating
position.

Oh, and then there were the 3 or 4 months I tried a K3 in 2010 before
replacing it with an Eagle.

But of course I still had an Argonaut 515 during that time.

I still have a SWAN watt meter.

How many years ago did they go out of business?  Probably also 44.  Actually
it was about 39 or 40 years ago.

I own an Autronics CW paddle.  They exited the ham market about 44 years ago
as well.

If you find any of these things today in good working order, they are worth
more money today than they were when new!

Other than metal stuff, I can't really think of any components that Ten-Tec
actually manufactured themselves.

You can buy encoders and transistors elsewhere.  Not quite so easy as
calling Paul, but they're available.

I'm still hoping I can convince the new owner to build us old farts one more
radio to replace the Eagle on the desk.

It will be like the Eagle, but 3 or 4 times larger, with big knobs and big
S-Meter.  J

But I won't sell my Eagle.  It will replace my FT-900 as mobile rig.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP

(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)