Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC Announcement January 4, 2016

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC Announcement January 4, 2016
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 22:48:47 -0600
I Charge $85 per hour, and I don’t have overhead than TenTec has.

What is Icom’s shop rate? $25 per hour? I doubt it!

You SHOULD be able to repair the Triton IV’s yourself. They are almost as
simple as a flashlight.

An Orion or Omni 6 is another matter. I doubt many Orion/Omni 6 repairs will
take more than 2 hours anyway. Especially if that’s all you need to work on. At
some point you should become familiar enough (as a technician) to repair jus
about anything that can go wrong with an Orion in 45 minutes.

When I worked at Zenith Radio, many years ago, I only needed to repair ONE
MODEL of stereo amplifier. That was my job. I repaired 90 amplifiers per day
including parts changing. That’s because I got so familiar with them that I
knew what was wrong immediately from the scope waveform on the test fixture.

I would be happy to pay a tech who KNOWS my radio to fix it at $125 per hour
than have some hack tinker for 6 hours at $80 per hour.

If I sound like a Ten Tec “homer” here, sorry, I am not. Many things they have
done over the years set me off, which is why I still have some Icom radios
here, and my primary radio is an Icom.

I still respect Ten Tec products as they have always gone for ultimate
performance over fluff. In a heartbeat I would buy an Orion 2 with software
written by Icom (including the Notch Filter inside the AGC loop!). The Orion 2
is far better ultimately than any Icom, just clunky to operate compared with
the Pro 2.

But we need to be realistic. If they are to make a go with a market size as
small as the Ham market, they do need to operate their service department at
sustainable rates.

It’s hard to make a buck developing a new high end radio design when the
maximum unit sales is in the range of 40,000 units, probably a lot fewer than
that!

Gary W0DVN