Re: [TenTec] My observations

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My observations
From: N4BE_Jim--- via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 17:39:57 -0500
John,

Don't forget the military/commercial market, which is typically big$.  There
are several mfgrs of commercial radios (Icom being one) that have built in
support for data modes such as ALE and Mil-STD 110-A.  These built in modes are
typically implemented with a DSP based signal processor that demodulates and
modulates the audio waveforms of these modes, then interfaces to an outboard
terminal or PC to send/receive text and even binary files via HF channels.  The
built in mod / demod uses a codec chip to generate or demodulate the audio
waveforms.  Most hams can't afford these radios (think $7K-10K or more).  I am
in MARS and we use outboard sound devices interfaced to a PC which runs
freeware software for ALE and M110  data modes.  On MARS I currently use
ALE/M-110a freeware, an O2 and Timewave Navigator interface.  The software is
developed by Steve Shaduchek N2CKH. Google him.   Runs under Windows but is
written in one of the C languages so its portable.   One option your Or
 ion3 could provide is a slot for a user defined DSP board that could host 3rd
party modem software like this.

BTW ALE is legal for hams but not M110a (yet).  M110a is a powerful Mil mode
invented by Harris Corp. that supports up to 2400bps coded and 4800bps uncoded
on HF.  And for this marketing brief I would like a first off the line version
of the radio!

73,
Jim N4BE

Sent from my iPad