Re: [TenTec] 252mo supply

To: wb5jnc@centurytel.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 252mo supply
From: Chris Howard w0ep <w0ep@w0ep.us>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 20:58:25 -0600

Follow-up  on this old power supply issue from a year ago...

I had the 2n3055 in there as the main pass transistor for just
under a year. I usually operate QRP, turned down to 5 watts.
Things seemed to go along fine.  Then, one day I turned on
the power and it immediately died again.

I ordered a 2n5201 from digikey.  I have now installed that.
Sure enough, the 2n3055 showed a dead short from base to collector.

I'm still having trouble though.  I hooked the supply up and
it seems to be sagging badly if I try to turn up the power above
about 10 watts.  The meter light dims and it just doesn't look
good.

Is there anything about the 2n5201 that is different from the 2n3055
that requires adjustment?

Here's a datasheet that shows both:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/68/lssgp082-54678.pdf

I think I need to dig into it again, maybe something else failed.