Re: [TenTec] Model 411 amp (aka Centaur)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 411 amp (aka Centaur)
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 09:49:56 -0600
The most significant differences between an 811A and a 572B are that the 572B
has a higher plate voltage rating and higher plate dissipation.

If installed into an amplifier with the allowed higher plate voltage available,
the 572B will produce almost twice the output power of an 811A operating at its
specified plate voltage.

A 572B can replace an 811A in most amps but an 811A cannot replace a 572B
unless plate voltage is reduced or very bad things will happen.

In some cases, replacement of 811A tubes with 572B tubes can result in
parasitic oscillations and one may need to improve the parasitic suppressors in
this case.

This would be true generally only with older amps that did not have very good
suppressors.

It is true that, generally, a 572B will take more abuse than an 811A, but why
run any amp to the point at which tube damage occurs? The half dB you might
would not be heard by the listener.

Tuning should be done at reduced power anyway. If you improperly tune a 572B
tube at full power, you will only destroy a more expensive tube than the cheap
811A tube.

Gary

W0DVN