Re: [TenTec] Common Band Module Problems?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Common Band Module Problems?
From: Kevin Anderson via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:24:29 +0000 (UTC)
I have two Scouts, with the longest one in my house going back to 2001 (and
that was bought used), with an Argo Scout currently as my active radio, and so
far no module has outright failed on me yet.  Like another poster commented, I
always keep one module in each radio at all times, which protects against dirt,
dust, and oxidation.  And I keep the unused modules always in the little
zip-lock bags that they came in (although not sealed shut) , and then those
organized in an open Glad plastic food container, one for each radio, so they
have little opportunity to collect dust or dirt.

Every now and then I will have a module get "squirrely" on me and appear not to
work well.  The VFO not changing frequencies is an obvious indication, although
once recently that part worked and the radio appeared to function, but I didn't
seem to have much or any output at all.  Usually when this happens, the module
is just a tad out and not full seated in the radio.  So far all I've needed to
do was take the module out and re-insert it again, making sure the module is
all the way in, which on my radios means just slightly, a millimeter or two,
recessed into the radio. (That little distance between fully inserted and not
seems to make a huge difference from what I can tell.)

Like others have said, inserting gently with the final pressure with the thumb
while holding the radio in place works the best.  And taking the modules out is
with steady, but gentle, use of the built-in lever.  Knock on wood, but so far
I haven't broken a handle yet on a module, although that possibility does have
me feel a tad nervous every time.

Kevin, K9IUA