Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Service

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Service
From: "Vic Klein" <vhklein@ptd.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 08:07:28 -0400
I am seeing lots of posts on other forums by hams saying that their TT
radios are going through the "new" Ten Tec service department pretty
quickly, often in a week or 10 days, and the reported costs are frankly
similar to what was being charged in the past, based on my experience with
the "old" TT Service, and very competitive with other manufacturer service
departments, based on my past experience with Kenwood and Yaesu. One guy
even said he was able to arrange to drop his rig off as he passed through
the area. The fact that the actual service costs are posted now shouldn't
dissuade people as much as it seems to. The only real difference is the
elimination of the free phone consultation, but I have read that they plan
to dedicate someone to handling the phone and providing some basic info in
the future. That would be nice as I would like to continue to be able to
order parts and do most repairs myself. I am not sure that is possible
through Ten Tec right now.

You can always find some independent shop that will work for a lower hourly
rate, but can they actually do the repair cheaper than someone who knows the
radio intimately, or do you just end up spending 2 hours of labor with an
independent that would have taken Ten Tec only an hour?

=Vic=

WA4THR

Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com
<mailto:tentec%40contesting.com> >

[TenTec] Ten Tec Service

Don Rasmussen via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com
<mailto:tentec%40contesting.com> >

Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com <mailto:wb8yqj%40yahoo.com> >, Discussion of
Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com <mailto:tentec%40contesting.com> >

Tue, 15 Mar 2016 00:02:17 +0000 (UTC)

<tentec@contesting.com <mailto:%3Ca%20href=> ">mailto:tentec@contesting.com
<mailto:tentec%40contesting.com> >

To those who would enjoy classic Ten Tec CW, like Scout, Argo, Cosair. early

OMNI (B&C) that now find buying an older Ten Tec repair cost prohibitive -
are
there any alternative brands of new radios can be more practically
maintained
offer similar performance?  Quiet receiver, QSK, etc...
I don't see anything, keeping my Corsairs and VI+ until I cant find a place
service them outside of the "new" Ten Tec.
For anyone considering even a later model used TenTec, the new website holds
cost consideration that cant be overlooked.
http://www.tentec.com/